Friday, July 2, 2010

Forgiveness and the one who lived


I was out at University of St. Mary of the Lake last week for a scripture seminar. As I went around the lake on the grounds of the campus my mind wandered back to a tragic auto accident that occurred there several years back. Two young seminarians were killed when the car driven by a third seminarian crashed into some trees. The three young men had been out for pizza and some drinks and were traveling well in excess of the posted speed limit.
One of the seminarians killed was Matty Molnar whom I had met about five months prior to that accident. I recalled how impressive Matty was -- an accomplished musician, a warm and engaging individual, and a devout Christian. He would serve the Church well. Alas, he never got the chance.
As I recalled that tragic accident, I wondered what happened to that third seminarian. I knew he pleaded guilty to charges from the accident and left the seminary. Whatever became of the one who lived?
Today I see a posting on The Deacon's Bench that references an article which answers that question. This is a story of loss, of reconciliation and of the power of forgiveness.
God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment