Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A tragedy stirs memories....

Several years back I had the privilege of traveling to Haiti for a week with the aid organization Food for the Poor which works throughout the Caribbean and Central America. We spent most of that week in Port-au-Prince and the immediate surrounding area. That trip was eye opening for me in many ways. I was struck by the beauty of the country and the graciousness of the people, and most of all I was staggered to witness the degree of poverty, particularly in Cite de Soleil -- a level of poverty and want that may be matched only in the slums of Calcutta.
Despite this, the people of Haiti radiated generosity, joy and faith. My sense was that this was a nation that should be a paradise but which had been turned into a hell due to greed, corruption and the pursuit of private political agendas. This was a failed society -- but the people were absolutely marvelous.
I wanted to go to Haiti in large part because a substantial number of my parishioners are Haitian. I wanted to get a sense of who these people were by witnessing the work that was being done in their homeland.
I will never forget returning home after a week of exposure to unspeakable poverty. The day after my return I stopped in at Sam's Club. As I walked the aisles stacked to the 24-foot ceilings with merchandise in testimony to our excess, I overheard a couple shopping. "Do we need this?" the husband asked. "We want this," the wife responded. I began to tremble with memories of what I had seen in Haiti and quickly exited the store.
It is with that background that I heard of yesterday's earthquake, and was moved to again at least send a little of my excess to help out. I join my prayers with those of the people of Haiti who seek the intercession of their patron, Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

No comments:

Post a Comment