Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Who's the boss?

Apparently Cardinal George's Presidential Address to the USCCB is raising the hackles of some who feel that they can best determine who and what is authentically catholic and the bishops should simply learn to live with that.
In his remarks, the Cardinal reminded the assembly of St. Ignatius of Antioch's advice to the Phildelphians that "...all who belong to God and Jesus Christ are with the bishop" and further "…that you do nothing without your bishop…”
In a secular society that clings to the Huey Long rallying cry of "Every Man a King," this does not sit comfortably with the masses. The secular press unsurprisingly presents the Cardinal's remarks as a power grab and attempt to regain control.
In anticipation of the Solemnity of Christ the King, I am reminded that my faith, my trust is placed not it myself or my own ideas, thoughts and desires, but in Christ. The bishop serves as Christ's vicar to the local church. While recognizing they are not perfect, I feel it is unjust to immediately ascribe nefarious motives to their actions. Unity will not be found among the faithful without the bishop.

No comments:

Post a Comment