Monday, November 23, 2009

Here's one to think about...

As I read the story of the man who was thought to be in a vegetative state for 23 years even though he was aware of all that was happening around him (Story here) I couldn't help but wonder how I would deal with such a situation.
Though it reads like a Rod Serling Night Gallery episode, I began to wonder if this might not be the ultimate contemplative experience. Unable to interact with the outside world, would I turn inward in a search for God or sink into insanity -- however short a trip that might be? The frustration of being unable to move or communicate with the physical world around me would put me in the position of being a spectator in my own life. Dare I admit that I find something intriguing about that idea? Perhaps it would be naught more than forced navel-gazing, but I believe I would be led to a quest for the divine.
It kinda makes ya think, but then again... that's all you could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment