Monday, August 17, 2009

Still the last legitimate prejudice in America


It has been apparent for years that anti-Catholicism is the last prejudice to be tolerated in secular society. Animus that would find not be countenanced should it be directed against any other religious, ethnic or racial group is treated as simple entertainment when directed against the Catholic Church and its teachings.
As an example consider the upcoming, season finale of the Penn & Teller Showtime series "Bullsh*t". On his Twitter page, Penn Jillette brags how he rips a Catholic encyclical on sexuality: “I’m dressed as Darth with a condom c--k light saber.”
Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights has taken out an ad in the trade publication Variety calling for CBS, the parent company of Showtime, to finally draw the line.
On its website the show is described as "...a high-octane, weird, wacky, entertaining journey through some bizarre territory that no one else is brave enough to touch," and boasts that the team of Penn and Teller are "...confirmed skeptics and pro-science atheists (they refer to God as "an imaginary friend")."
I have an overactive sense of humor and like to quip that because of this I am known as "bad Deacon!," however, even I know where to draw the line, particularly when I take into account the legacy we have inherited from this secular society which has sought to do away with God.

2 comments:

  1. Chick: Before I get blocked from your sight as a problem commenter, I wanted to thank you for raising up this issue and commend to you a Phillip Jenkins book with the subtitle the same as your blog posting. The main title is The New Anti-Catholicism. I have to confess I haven't read the book but I have heard good things about it. Perhaps you've read it? As for being excoriated for being a Catholic, when I want to aggravate people who are aggravating me, I quote them one of the beatitudes about "those who slander and curse you for my name."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now as I see the post, I am mortified. I misspelled "site." Darn!

    ReplyDelete