Thursday, July 16, 2009

Just a small step

Forty years ago I was working for Mr. Henry T. Groves on his farm near Louisville, KY. Due to a moment of inattentiveness and an errant footstep while mowing the lawn in front of the farm house, I managed to severely cut my toe. Thanks to the fine work of a couple of physicians, the toe was saved and the lasting effects of the injury ultimately proved to be negligible. But the injury was severe enough to keep me away from work for several weeks.
This comes to mind only because of my recollection that I was able to follow the lunar landing of Apollo XI because I was laid up at home. As I was injured and did not have to get up to be at the farm at 6:00 a.m. the next day, I was able to witness Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon.
A footstep is a simple thing, and a very significant thing as is demonstrated by Armstrong's first step and this video from CatholicVote.org.



with thanks to The Deacon's Bench

No comments:

Post a Comment