Monday, June 29, 2009

Roman version of "Who is buried in Grant's tomb"


When I was a wee child, I recall my father many times posing the question, "Who is buried in Grant's tomb?" I was never startled by the answer. However, there is a good deal more excitement to the disclosure that scientific testing points to the authenticity of the tomb of St. Paul.
In many respects I believe that this announcement bolsters confidence that other shrines which have a similar long and unbroken tradition of belief of authenticity -- such as the Holy Sepulchre and the Church of the Nativity -- may well be the actual sites of historical events. The living memory of believers passed from one generation to the next is quite persuasive and more reliable than many tend to believe..

No comments:

Post a Comment