Monday, September 13, 2010

I was just stupid... what's their excuse?


Back in my college days, during the "sloppy agape" days of Catholic Liturgy of the early 1970's, one of the more popular Masses for the dormitory residents on campus at the Jesuit University I attended was the 11:00 pm Mass offered in the student union on Sunday nights. A main reason for the popularity of this Mass was the availability of coffee and donuts following the service. It was then no surprise that this service soon became regularly referred to as the Coffee and Donut Magic Show.
I've often felt contrite about my referring to the unbloodied re-presentation of the sacrifice of Calvary in such a disrespectful manner. But I was young and stupid -- at least the former condition has changed.
However there is a noted lack of contrition on the part of the organizers for the upcoming visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the UK who came up with their "helpful terms" in the official booklet to be used for the papal Masses. The Vicar of Christ is described as analagous to a "headline act" and the liturgy itself as a "gig". (story here)
I'm sure Fr. Dalton, the beloved pastor of my youth, would have had a suitable dope slap ready for me had I dared used such terms -- but then, he had standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment