Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A touch of class...

It seems that every time I find myself getting too cynical about the world someone steps up and simply does the right thing and makes me feel better about people. The latest such instance for me was hearing of the young woman who finished the Kentucky High School State Championship Golf Tournament five shots ahead of her nearest competitor and then had herself disqualified.
After the final round of the tourney, Emma Talley noticed that she had signed an incorrect scorecard which understated her round by a single stroke. Her coach recalled “I think it was only her and her family who actually knew about it. If she had kept her mouth shut, she would have won the trophy. But she's not like that.” Instead, Emma reported the error to the officials and was therefore automatically disqualified.
The second place finisher, Lindsay Gahm offered the trophy to Emma who declined it. “Lindsay didn't do anything wrong,” Talley said. “She's my friend, and she felt as bad as anybody else. I'm glad she kept it. She deserved it.”
I'd like to think that I would have done the same thing, but I will never really know. I do know however that Emma Talley has won my respect... but a state championship is still a better prize.
Story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment