Monday, May 11, 2009

Vine and branches


The gospel reading this last weekend was the familiar "I am the vine and you are the branches" passage from John and, even though I wasn't preaching this weekend, I spent a good amount of time meditating on this passage and thought I would put some of my thoughts down in writing if only to help me clarify my own thought process.
I have been fascinated with the relationship between the individual, the church and Christ. The Gospel speaks of only one vine and the necessity of remaining in relationship to that one vine. When Jesus says, "you are the branches" that "you" is in the plural. In short, to remain in Jesus, it is necessary to remain in communion with one another, i.e. to remain in the Church. Yes, there is a personal relationship with Jesus, but that is not to be a private relationship. Many people seem to want to say, "I believe in Jesus, but I don't believe in organized religion and don't need the Church." As if Christ could be separated from the Church. The Church is the Body of Christ. To be in Christ it is necessary to be in relation to His Church. It seems that whenever an apparent either/or situation apparently exists, the Catholic response is that it must be both/and.

1 comment:

  1. The horse should not be put before the cart. You can have a healthy relationship with the Church only if you have a relationship with Jesus. Your relationship with the Body of Christ will be directly affected for how poor or rich is your personal relationship with God, (Father,Son and Spirit) Further, our personal relationship with Christ must be extended beyond the limits of the Church, as far as loving our enemies. Somehow Christ did not limited his sacrificial love to die for his friends but it was extended to the whole creation, so my love should trascend the walls of my congregation and reach out.
    Apart from that we most be careful to try to manipulate people into attending church services (I don't think that's your intention)If they love Christ they will come to share Him with others. Even more, Church is werever Christ's followers are. Wheather be praising, worshiping, working, sleeping, dancing or crying...you know.
    God bless
    Alvaro

    ReplyDelete