Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Be afraid... or not

It takes courage to watch the news or read the newspaper today. Or should I say, it takes faith? A quick examination of the paper today shows multiple stories on the swine flu including stories of entire communities in fear. (This despite the fact that there have been only some 50 cases and no fatalities reported in the United States out of a population of over 306 million.) We are told we should be afraid. There are terrorists who are angry at the U.S. -- be afraid. Gang violence around Chicago took another life yesterday -- be afraid! The economy is struggling amid great uncertainty -- be afraid.

At the same time, repeatedly in scripture, we are told “Be not afraid,” or “fear not.” A popular myth contends that scripture contains 365 instances of such advice -- one for each day of the year. A quick use of some of my bible software programs fails to confirm that number, but the frequency of the basic admonition is undeniable.

I have enough of a tendency to worry about things over which I have no control; I don’t need the media adding to my list. Maybe I am simply ignorant of my peril, but I think I will struggle to take the Lord’s advice. At least I will sleep more easily that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment